The end of 2017 was a blur for me with many changes happening in my life. I won’t go into the list of changes or their impacts, but lets say my vow to make 2018 the year where I find meaning in my life even if I cannot change my circumstances was developed over this time period. Whereas before I have made work the most important thing in my life, I am working to move it into a more appropriate place as one important thing in my life. This has been a struggle but I have found when work is the dominant force in my life, I was not as effective. Now, I feel that I am being effective, and I have a restorative focus on my home life.
What does this refocus mean? Well, several things really. The month by month thing didn’t seem to really work quite as I hope last year. Many times, other things got in the way or there were not as many opportunities to focus on the ‘interest of the month’ in that month. So, over the last month or so, I have been working on my 2018 thoughts. Firstly, I have decided to begin next month, my birthday month, also known as the real start to a new year for me. Secondly, I am working on all things together. Some months may be heavy on one aspect, but not necessarily deliberately so. More importantly, I have decided on an overarching theme for this year. It is ‘Be Brave!’ 2018 is going to be the year that I write terrible novels without fear, take photos I think are cool and post them without fear. I am going to offer my thoughts, advice and opinions in a hopefully helpful way but without being apologetic for them. I want to focus on the little day-to-day adventures in life.
But the most important thing is, I now have a ‘BIG IDEA’ that I am working for. Or at least a bit, overarching life dream. And to be honest, it is probably everyone’s life dream, but I am going to challenge myself to work for it. Now, if anyone is reading this, you may ask, ‘What is her dream life?’ And I could tell you, but I won’t. But, really, I am working through how I can achieve this and what I may need to change/alter in my life to get there. So, for now, what you can have is the list ‘hobbies’ for lack of a better word that I am going to be dabbling in this year.
- Writing – I am setting up a sister blog to this one to write stories on. I have 2 ideas already
- Photography – Taking more photos, playing with more settings, and applying filters
- Reading – I am getting more and more into reading again and I have set myself a goal of reading 30 new books this year
- Cooking – I love making food. But, baking still isn’t my thing
- History – Learning more about history because I freaking love it.
- Learn to grow my own veggies in containers – it is part of the ‘BIG IDEA’
- Travel – going places and seeing things, because I love exploring the world
- Interior design – I love designing spaces, and I want to develop it further
- Spiritual side & Intuition – Can this be developed or is it already formed – I am not sure, but I have a very good emotional IQ and I want to develop that further and help people
- Astronomy – I just want to learn more about the constellations and what we can see from earth
- Horseback riding – I had to stop for a little while, but I will get back to it
These are not all connected to the ‘BIG IDEA’ but they help keep me sane in this crazy world. Over the next month or so, I am going to think about what I need to do with each of these to help me develop them into proper hobbies.